Thursday, September 13, 2007

Career Transition




A lot has been happening in my professional life recently, all around transitioning. As our organisation has been changing, so do I have to find a new job opportunity at the same work place or... outside.

This is a good thing. Or it will be in the end. What's good about it is that it takes me to places I would not have dare go and ask questions that I feared to ask. Such as: at this point in time, what do I really want to do with my life? What makes me tick?

Well, what I am passionate about is people and the way they interact to create value in the society and in the enterprise. So I am going to talk about my progress in finding my ways to new project.

One idea is to start as a consultant, helping organisations assess the potential of their informal structure and make plans to foster a culture more conducive to collaborative performance. This should help them create more value while making the work place a better place to work in.

What makes it a compelling opportunity is that technology is here (see Peter H. Reiser - Web 2.0 applied in the Enterprise post) to provide a work environment that facilitates access to the "what" (information) and to "who knows what "social networks".

So how can I reach out to those organisations? One way would be to get to know HR consultant already operating in the field, first to learn about the potential market, then to better assess the idea and thirdly to find opportunities for partnership in consulting.

One step at a time. My current focus is on:
  • Due diligence (market research)
  • Networking
  • Refining my Organisational Network Analysis offering

More on these later.